One quick an easily managed service from Amazon is RDS for a database server. The RDS server is straight forward and makes future development easy. Here I will create the first mysql database.
- Go to https://console.aws.amazon.com/rds/home?region=us-east-1#
- select RDS Instances
- select Launch DB Instance button
- select mysql tab (it is free eligible) and hit the select button
- select mysql production environment and select the next button
- select the latest DB engine version from the drop down selection
- enter 20 for allocated storage
- enter a DB instance identifier. I tend to use nonmeaningful names here, for example use the name greek goddess. (example mazudb)
- enter a master username and master password (user: mazu) and select the next step button
- on the Configure Advances Settings form you will see VPC security group with Create a new Security Group Selected. (more on this later)
- enter a database name (example mazudb) and select the Launch DB Instance button
In a later post I will discuss allowing an Amazon EC2 virtual host connect to the server by changing the security group.
Now I can connect to the RDS mysql server from my laptop with MySQL Workbench